Flip the finger.

Beautiful, beautiful control panels…

…from Hell:

control panel 001

Not understanding why?

Here, take a look at the stuff wich nightmares are made of:

control panel 002

So, what is this? It’s a “finger” control board (half of it, I’m afraid I didn’t pic the second unit). And what is a “finger”? it’s the ramp you use in airports to directly acces the planes from the boarding gate.

And why on earth did I broke open pandora’s box?

SQ29 was rattling in it’s hole, breaking a cable (after some years, since we don’t use this very much). Also, Km19 had it’s steam broken more than eight years ago, and since I had to repair something, I managed to angrily convince the manager to allow me to repair both. (he dared to try NOT allowing me to repair KM19).

Not much else to say, it’s just cables and tons of connectors to test a relay board.

Handle with care.

So, I’m a bit busy preparing things for Eurosteamcon 2015, NOT playing KSP, altough I’d prefer that to what I’m doing in lieu of having more fun.

Tooling, tooling, tooling…it’s fun and laughs until an hybrid board comes along:

20150630_103836

The aluminium backing acts as heatsink, but the FR4 board holding everything is just 0,6mm…wich breaks easily.

So, how do you test that thing?

Spongebob squarepants’s cousin at your service!

20150630_103926

Some adhesive copper film with small cables, a simple selector (circuit pins are just GND – RED – GREEN – BLUE) and there you go. It’s flimsy, will break, but had to do it in like 10 minutes, don’t you dare ask more from me in that timeframe.
Yes, I was picky enough to actually solder the correct colored cables to the pads, because of OCD reasons. XD!

Also, wtf I’m doing for eurosteamcon? some automaton ladies:

11221335_743142429148059_6252969972323439602_n
More like this, with changes, will be adhered to the whole spine of the girl.

This and some more things are taking all my free time (that is, the one where I’m not actually procrastinating). I’ll keep you posted (as if you could stop me! XD )

There, I fixed it! (II)

So, a small piece of plastic broke in the scoring machine:

20150702_070205

It’s just a limiter, but we fiddle with it a few times each day, so it is not surprising (to me, cos I’m the only one who really knows the ins and outs of the machine) that it broke. I had already changed the set screw for a levered one, so I didn’t need a tool to adjust cutting depth. Basically, this machine is made to be set once in a loong while, and leave it alone.

And thus, we where waiting for the replacement part…but it’s been three weeks since, and enough is enough:

20150706_120109
This is NOT a shark bite. XD!

Since I made the piece at work, and didn’t had infinite time to do it, it’s a bit…well…that’s the best I could do AT work. (It’s fun when you can do better metalworking at home than at work, it makes life weird).

Anyhow, here’s the temporary piece:

20150702_070151

It sort of works, altough we’re not cutting aluminium boards, just in case.

Abrade me (Tools you might not know II )

Continuing with the special tool posts, customer changed a nut diameter (from 19 to 18mm) so I had to abrade a spanner to make it fit.

Eat metal, bitch!

20150619_115149

Yup, that’s more like it.

20150619_133842
I even had time to surface finish it to a nice brushed texture so it won’t scrape the anodized layer.

Aaaand it fits!

20150619_133903

As you can see, it’s a metal nut over a plastic fitting, so not much torque is involved.

Quickbuild Number 5

-“We need to test two leds connected back to back, but also make sure color coded cables are soldered correctly”

Red-Green 001

Simplicity is the key to success. “rosa” is PINK, “nara-nja” is ORANGE, as to correspond to the color coded cables. Smiley face adds flavour.

Red-Green 002

 

The switch just changes polarity.

Red-Green 000

This is a recent addon, to make it’s connection easier. It will only work with one of our power supplies, but that’s not a problem.