Cospfail tech.

Think of portals.

Good…

Now, try to mach that thought, with the following circuit, seen at a FB’s cosplay forum where I hang.

11695807_396067623925859_1671078085645298350_n

Hell, yeah! Two batteries! put them wherever you want, cos voltages add no matter what.
Also, it was said to me that the person who “designed” this, was in his second engineering year. O_o

I have complained before about how cosplayers take leds and EL tech like it is something new and groundbreaking where it has 20+years of commercial aplication. Some days, after seeing this, I can’t decide if I want to make an advanced led ligting course, or if it’s just a waste of time

Handle with care.

So, I’m a bit busy preparing things for Eurosteamcon 2015, NOT playing KSP, altough I’d prefer that to what I’m doing in lieu of having more fun.

Tooling, tooling, tooling…it’s fun and laughs until an hybrid board comes along:

20150630_103836

The aluminium backing acts as heatsink, but the FR4 board holding everything is just 0,6mm…wich breaks easily.

So, how do you test that thing?

Spongebob squarepants’s cousin at your service!

20150630_103926

Some adhesive copper film with small cables, a simple selector (circuit pins are just GND – RED – GREEN – BLUE) and there you go. It’s flimsy, will break, but had to do it in like 10 minutes, don’t you dare ask more from me in that timeframe.
Yes, I was picky enough to actually solder the correct colored cables to the pads, because of OCD reasons. XD!

Also, wtf I’m doing for eurosteamcon? some automaton ladies:

11221335_743142429148059_6252969972323439602_n
More like this, with changes, will be adhered to the whole spine of the girl.

This and some more things are taking all my free time (that is, the one where I’m not actually procrastinating). I’ll keep you posted (as if you could stop me! XD )

IP-my ass

So, we have this secondary company, wich we will call “Engifail”. By that name, you can probably see where this is going, right?.

They have this tendency to mess up, incurring in overcharges wich the parent company has to absorb, so their sales account looks nice and clean. Their latest? An IP-67 keyboard wich failed miserably in so many possible ways, I can’t still believe it. Unfortunately, I can’t show you the front of the keyboard, and some fails can only be explained, sorry for that.

  • For starters, the keyboard consisted in two parts, a rigid acrilyc plate and a flexy circuit wich was to be adhered to a milled recess in the acrylic. Well, the flexy circuit was 0.2/0.3mm bigger in lenght, and had to be sanded a bit to fit, and still, I had to do some tricks to make it fit. Have I mentioned that the circuit was flexy? Good luck sanding that down.
  • Whomever made the recess CNC program, did not superimpose start and finishing points, wich resulted in a 0.5mm indent, wich lifted the flexy noticeably.
    Luckily with this one, I made them correct that (using a file), and by them I mean Engifail workers. I refused to correct it, on the grounds that I would scrape accidentally one or two, and then someone would chop my head off, so “Not my fault, not my job”. (preemptively enough, they messed up three acrylics)

If that wasn’t bad enough, here’s the fail I can show:

20150701_092142

So that’s the back of the acrylic, with the flexy circuit pads being IP’ed with resin. So far so good, right?

Well, first of all, noone said it had to be IP’d until the last minute, wich pissed me off (I don’t like surprises at work). The thing is, there was a via in there, but I didn’t gave it a second thought, if it was already approved for IPing, that should be okay, should

This is Engifail, we always mess up.

Let me introduce you, the via in pad:

20150701_092118

As if it wasn’t bad practice to put a via in a pad, seriously?…you’re going to IP something with resin, and you don’t think that that via might mess anything up?

Let’s fail in detail:

Clipboard01ff

What can I say…fun part is that they where going to use a very liquid encasing resin, but we had run out, and used a very thick alternative, wich saved about half of the keyboards, and still, they said the fail was OURS, because the manager suggested using that transparent resin…

FUCK THEM

really, with a corn cob, no lube.

Before anyone asks, no, they don’t have an engineer (double Engifail XD) on board. (oh dammit…unintended PCB pun… XDD!!!!)

There, I fixed it! (II)

So, a small piece of plastic broke in the scoring machine:

20150702_070205

It’s just a limiter, but we fiddle with it a few times each day, so it is not surprising (to me, cos I’m the only one who really knows the ins and outs of the machine) that it broke. I had already changed the set screw for a levered one, so I didn’t need a tool to adjust cutting depth. Basically, this machine is made to be set once in a loong while, and leave it alone.

And thus, we where waiting for the replacement part…but it’s been three weeks since, and enough is enough:

20150706_120109
This is NOT a shark bite. XD!

Since I made the piece at work, and didn’t had infinite time to do it, it’s a bit…well…that’s the best I could do AT work. (It’s fun when you can do better metalworking at home than at work, it makes life weird).

Anyhow, here’s the temporary piece:

20150702_070151

It sort of works, altough we’re not cutting aluminium boards, just in case.